Age of Empires Forums

advanced
in

Last post 07-16-2012, 11:24 AM by J McMillin. 120 replies.
Page 3 of 9 (121 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts:
  •  06-15-2012, 10:26 AM 959240 in reply to 959234
    J McMillin J McMillin is not online. Last active: 03-11-2014, 1:01 AM
    [KOOEC]
    Top 200 Contributor
    Total Posts: 992
    Last Post: 03-11-2014
    Subject: Re: a few things aoe3 taught us about life
    @ Metis, lonbows would have some severe disadvantages wouldn't they? they might me slightly more effective in this time period, but A like you mentioned didn't they start training for longbows when they were like 8? the british army also had a decent amount of american turncoats and slaves if i'm not mistaken who obviously wouldn't have any idea how to use them. B where would they get arrows? soldiers could mold their own balls out of anything lead but arrows took a while to make. C wouldn't this make them mega vunerable to a charge? and since much of the revolution was faught in the woods and in ambushes, and the americans didn't just stand in the open to get shot like the british did. you can't really draw a longbow in the middle of the woods

kittychix:

If you know your behaviour or language is going to result in a ban, and continue with the actions anyway...you are heading in a direction of less then temporary action.

•  06-15-2012, 10:38 AM 959241 in reply to 959240
    Katsu-S~S Katsu-S~S is not online. Last active: 03-18-2014, 9:50 PM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Total Posts: 406
    Last Post: 03-18-2014
    i dont think a charge could harm them since thats th unit british used to counter heavy calvalry the french sent them. curiassers were knights with pistols spanish lancers didnt stand a chance against british longbows
  •  06-15-2012, 10:47 AM 959242 in reply to 959046
    TruePwnage TruePwnage is not online. Last active: 11-22-2012, 4:12 PM
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 54
    Last Post: 11-22-2012

An explorer can take 50 cannon shots and still lay down on the ground alive

Infantry can kill cavalry 100% faster than fully upgraded machine guns and cannons

Shipments from 100s of miles away can reach the new world in 30 seconds

Smacking a guy on a horse with a musket does 3x more damage than using a gun

A bearded man with a halberd can kill 10 people on horses in 40 seconds

Samurai kick their enemies instead of using their sword 50% of the time

People with longbows do as much damage as dual pistols

A sound of a man yelling can be heard when you recruit a unit

A british settler rescued by indians magically turns into a fluent indian with a turban

A huge fountain used to exist that makes you younger

Hot Air Balloons can go over the enemy base and can't be shot or damaged in any way

It takes more time to kill villagers than it takes to kill cavalry

If you shoot a villager next to another villager with a cannon, the other villager will stand still

2 people with grenades do less damage than a person with a musket

Music magically plays every time a war/battle starts 

"How many fools can I kill today, too many to count don't get in my way. I shoot a mofo in the throat with my bow, tomahawk chop is my death blow."
  •  06-15-2012, 7:39 PM 959274 in reply to 959242
    [KOOEC]
    Top 200 Contributor
    lol i think ryzon removed the whole longbow argument. lol

kittychix:

If you know your behaviour or language is going to result in a ban, and continue with the actions anyway...you are heading in a direction of less then temporary action.

•  06-15-2012, 7:48 PM 959275 in reply to 959240
    Metis Metis is not online. Last active: Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:38 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Total Posts: 7,783
    Last Post: 12-26-2013

J McMillin:
    much of the revolution was fought in the woods and in ambushes, and the Americans didn't just stand in the open to get shot like the British did. you can't really draw a longbow in the middle of the woods

Though there were several "backwoods" skirmishes, especially in the South, when the French started training the Colonials to fight more of an European-style war is when they started winning. In fact, the British with their Amerindian ally support probably did as much unconventional fighting as did the Colonials.

Most of the Americans also were either loyal to the British (remember that they were British) or indifferent to the war. In fact, after the war, thousands of loyalists fled the country to avoid persecution.

If you thought that the American Revolution was a grass roots rebellion of a downtrodden people who threw off the yoke of oppression, think again. The "founding fathers" were mostly rich colonial aristocrats who, when they gained power, held as tightly to the reigns as the Crown ever did. Until Andrew Jackson's time the only people who could vote were wealthy landowners and if the Electoral College didn't like the way an election was going they were free (by law) to elect whomever they chose, votes or not (it's still this way to some extent now). If the war had been a grassroots rebellion the French would have never joined, as they were controlled by aristocrats themselves at the time.

In a very real sense the American Revolution was an extension of the ongoing wars between Britain and France. In fact, the British didn't consider that they lost so much as that they just needed to devote their resources elsewhere than trying to retain control over the troublesome American colonies.  

BTW, you can draw a longbow in the woods -- I used to do it all the time while deer hunting. I've shot longbows, recurved bows and compounds; the longbow is the most accurate. I could consistently hit bottle caps at 25 yards with one and when target practicing you had to consciously aim slightly away from your previous shot lest you hit and damage an expensive arrow. However, my bow was was just 70-pound pull. There is no way I'd be able to bend a 200-pound pull authentic longbow.

•  07-01-2012, 7:08 PM 960510 in reply to 959275
    [KOOEC]
    Top 200 Contributor

lol wow i just saw this post. metis has very low opinion of America's orgins :) lol. (where you from?) more on topic to this thread though. enemy soldiers will always try to destory the cannon itself. they will never just shoot the guy who is shooting it, even though he is unarmed. the actual cannon, MUST BE DESTROYED 

@ metis. how was it an extension of war between brits and france? rev war started in 1775, france didn't join until 1779 after the battle of saratoga  

kittychix:

•  07-05-2012, 4:25 PM 960870 in reply to 959234
    ottoman guy ottoman guy is not online. Last active: 07-26-2013, 4:13 AM
    Neverseparat= <3
    Top 500 Contributor
    Total Posts: 738
    Last Post: 07-26-2013

Russian people are weaker than other Europeans, Asians, and Native Americans. 

A daimyo or shogun can give birth to many men as possible, even to horses and canons! 

[A414A] LorèneJtm:
    Brb bathroom.

J McMillin:
    whenever a colonly revolted, all the women turned into men
  •  07-11-2012, 1:42 PM 961231 in reply to 959275
    scottp54 scottp54 is not online. Last active: 09-22-2013, 6:53 PM
    USA!
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 133
    Last Post: 09-22-2013

the ratio of those who actually cared for the revolt is correct metis, however a few thousand is nothing compared to the whole. By putting down the "founding fathers" you have the thousands of actually opressed, downtrodded civilians turned soldiers who gave their mother f***ing lives for this country! who do you think you are huh? the ratio of loyaltist to those opting for freedom was not close, more wanted freedom and the ones that "didnt care" did not care soley because they were too far west to be affected by the taxes and military presence, not because it didnt matter! i suppose you also find rebellion in scotland and ireland to be jokes too, and china and inda right? you're a sad person kid to put down a rebellion that made this country what it is and gave you the rights you have. You didnt have to bleed for these right, lose your home, familiy and life did you? how about the next time oyu make a remark insulting thousands of brave men who died for your rights and the ability to have a democracy. and to also say that the electoral college can change what it wants, that is also a lie. they could vote etc but the electoral colleeg is elected by the people based on theiur view and actions they would do, so the electoral college is merely a more educated version of public opinion that could see things the average man couldnt and make more educated votes on who should lead, they didnt undermine things for fun, its a legitimate need for a govemernt then where a president could pass around beer put on a smile and win votes or get votes just because he came froma  certain state as state pride was huge. The extension of the french aid for america was because France understood the rule from a monarchy was horrible and that after their own revolution they sought to help someone who was also fighting the tyranny of a monarchy. Their feud with britan was a barely a cause it was the ambassadors sent to france by america that got the aid approved. so there goes your bs again. PICK UP A BOOK EVERY ONCE AND A WHILE AND MAYBE YOU WOULD KNOW THIS STUFF. The bs of the founding fathers having a tight reign makes me angry too. our president George washington first of all got no pay for his military service or presidency unlike now and in additiopn could have remained as a  king in the country but reliquished his power after two years which is why all presidents now follow this tradition. Civilians had the right to bear arms allowing them to revolt if need be UNLIKE BEFORE where most arms and gunpowder was given to them or taken from the birtish caches in america.  The ability for rich white landowners to vote was also better than no one voting, also you cant let some one uneducated vote for the future of the country, besides was it not those "rich white land owners" that helped get presidents into power who heard the other men and extended suffrage to more and more people? so dont spew your anti american bs here, no one wants to hear your uneducated crud flying on the forum. if you wish to comment on AoE related things i respect your opinion and would enjoy help :) but dont you dare put down America with mis information.

BTW drawing a long bow in the woods to hunt a deer is very different than killing a man. you sneak upon a deer and shoot it, you miss it runs. and thats with a 70 lbs bow idk what attachments you have but if none then yes someone can miss. now try sneaking up on a man whos looking for you, with a gun and friends aroudn him also with guns, be it slug rounds or buck/bird shot by the time you ca get a clean shot on him etc he will definitly be in range enough to shoot back, mind you with a larger output of projectile per shot than you(and pullign a 200lbs bow is harder than pulling a trigger, who will get tired first?). he shoots a blunderbuss for example he has a higher chance of popping off a wild shot and hitting you as he can just quick shot around a tree and you must aim longer. say he has a slug, you hit him with an arrow he can still live, he shoots you with a .50 cal slug (which was what they were then) you are down. that thing made a whole in you and broke every bone aroudn the impact zone. this is why guns took over bows. if bows were better guns wouldnt have made it past the musket stage. and in additin to this  the ratio of bownmen to gunman is drastically different. say they have ten bow guys and ten gun guys and they kill6 bowmen and you kill all guns which relaly wont happem i think. but lets say it did. they will have an easy time training the guys back as compared to you. its more effective to use guns no matter what. a major war with brits using bowmen and everyone else usig guns you can not refresh the bowmen, all skilled bowmen in britian could be dead in two battles where as the muskets and rifles keep coming cause takes like 2 weeks to get an effective musket/riffle soldier vs training since 8 for a 200 lbs long bow.

TacticalWillie:
    No pikes are not half as good as dopps, for one they don't have a giant OP sword do they? nooo they only have a silly looking stick with a knife on the end and they don't even have a cool looking hat either!
  •  07-11-2012, 3:13 PM 961232 in reply to 961231
    StormComing StormComing is not online. Last active: 01-26-2014, 12:21 PM
    Top 100 Contributor
    Total Posts: 1,474
    Last Post: 01-26-2014
    ammericans indifferent my @$$ metis. sheesh whhat history books do you read? 

RIP AGE COM
  •  07-11-2012, 4:29 PM 961233 in reply to 961232
    Top 10 Contributor

StormComing:
    Americans indifferent my @$$ metis. sheesh what history books do you read? 

Not everyone in the colonies wanted a war of independence; in fact, the majority didn't. Many historians estimate as much as 70% of the colonists either did not want independence or didn't care on way or the other. In order to even get an army to fight the Colonial government had to promise rewards, such as land (at the time the "common" man had no land; land was owned by the rich aristocrats such as Jefferson and Washington).

Those on the frontiers, especially, could have cared less what was going on back East. It was only when the British started inciting the Natives that they started to organize in defense. It's interesting to note also that many local fights broke out throughout the West and South that really had little to do with the war per se but to old rivalries among the colonists, who just used the war as an excuse to fight each other.

It's important to note that even when the United States was formed as a "democracy" that most of the populace could not vote. In order to vote in the early US you had to be a white male landowner. Also, taxes in the US were often actually higher (and now are much higher) than they were under British rule. However, when people protested against these new taxes they were quickly quashed (e.g., Whiskey Rebellion; Shay's Rebellion).

It's of special interest that Washington personally led the militia to quash the Whiskey Rebellion and prevent the local folk from making their own whiskey unless they paid an exorbitant tax. George Washington later became the largest distiller of liquor in the US.

As far as "downtrodden oppressed civilians" goes, well the "founding fathers" themselves had a bunch of these -- they were called slaves. People need to realize that, grade-school history books non-withstanding, that the American Revolution was not actually a revolution in the sense that it came from within a society and overthrow an oppressive regime; rather, it was  rebellion led by wealthy landowners who wanted to run things themselves. For the first 50 years of the US's existence the Virginia aristocracy pretty much controlled the country. It was not until Andrew Jackson's second run for election that the "common" man began to have influence in the vote.

•  07-11-2012, 4:53 PM 961234 in reply to 961233
    [KOOEC]
    Top 200 Contributor
    higher taxes is irrelevant, it was the PRINCIPLE of taxation without represenation that was the issue.

kittychix:

•  07-11-2012, 4:54 PM 961235 in reply to 961233
    Marpolo Marpolo is not online. Last active: 07-14-2013, 6:10 AM
    Top 200 Contributor
    Total Posts: 1,050
    Last Post: 07-14-2013
    Metis:

Not everyone in the colonies wanted a war of independence; in fact, the majority didn't. Many historians estimate as much as 70% of the colonists either did not want independence or didn't care on way or the other. In order to even get an army to fight the Colonial government had to promise rewards, such as land (at the time the "common" man had no land; land was owned by the rich aristocrats such as Jefferson and Washington).

Possibly, but more than 30% of the colonists wanted independence, if only slightly more.

One could also argue that the people who did support independence were truly given a hard time by the British. Some supporters of British rule thought a war of independence wouldn't be successful.

In addition only people like Washington and Jefferson with some degree of wealth and education could have backed such a movement. A group of average joe farmers and merchants attempting to write the Constitution would not have ended well.

Back on topic:

Heroes and national leaders were the only individuals worthy of having an actual name.

Natives refused to trade away their knowledge of the surrounding terrain to colonists, while sending their soldiers to die for said colonists.

Napoleon led the French monarchy.

Armies preferred to destroy enemy possessions rather than capture them.

•  07-11-2012, 4:57 PM 961237 in reply to 961231
    Top 10 Contributor

@scottp54

Actually, unlike you (as evidenced by your writing), I am highly educated. I have a lifelong personal interest in history. Although it is not my main vocation, I have taken more than a dozen college courses in history and I'm a voracious reader. As as my father is a history professor I had access to and read many history volumes growing up so developed my interest early on. I have also served in the military and have had considerable experience with both firearms and bows over the past 50 years, including black powder firearms.

It's interesting to note that at the Battle of the Little Bighorn, in 1876, Custer's men faced a hundred or so Indians armed with modern firearms but also a good many more (several hundred) armed with bows, which they used to good effect.

BTW, your knowledge of the history of firearms is lacking to if you think the Revolutionary War was fought with .50 caliber rifles. The issue musket for the British was .75 caliber. Many of these British-issue muskets were also used by the colonists (who were British too; many, like Washington, were British colonial soldiers). The colonial army also used a substantial number of French .69 caliber muskets.

Britain and France had been battling for control of the New World and Old for hundreds of years before the American Revolution. Washington himself fought the French as a British colonial officer in the French and Indian War (which was the American campaign of the Seven Years War). The French saw the American Revolution as an opportunity to extend their influence in their ongoing wars against the British.

Were it not for the French the American Revolution would have failed, though the colonies would eventually have gained independence (the other British colonies around the world eventually did). Britain would have soon found that they couldn't control two and a half million colonists by military means and they would have given the colonies more autonomy.  Without "manifest destiny" and land-grab war ca. 1847 (also know as the Mexican War), the shape of the US might be somewhat different (or maybe not, as British America would have probably eventually fought Spain and taken the land anyway).

•  07-11-2012, 5:00 PM 961238 in reply to 961233
    StormComing StormComing is not online. Last active: 01-26-2014, 12:21 PM
    Top 100 Contributor
    Total Posts: 1,474
    Last Post: 01-26-2014

wtff the founding fathers werent perfect human beings?  da fa?!

i know they werent perfect men, but im fbhjuricking glad they had some balls.  i resent your dissrespectful read-between-the-lines implications concerning their motives and character, and i challenge you to a fbhuuicucking duel to the mother fcnnbvuciksbding death

RIP AGE COM
  •  07-11-2012, 5:45 PM 961240 in reply to 961238
    [KOOEC]
    Top 200 Contributor

well if only 30 percent wanted war obviously those 30 percent had 100 percent of the balls in the country. and i agree with storm. all men are flawed, but they were geniuses. how else would a country goverened on principles set up BY THEM over 200 years ago be the greatest country in the world?

kittychix:

Page 3 of 9 (121 items)   < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML