Age of Empires Forums

advanced
in

Last post 07-16-2012, 11:24 AM by J McMillin. 120 replies.
Page 8 of 9 (121 items)   « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
Sort Posts:
  •  07-16-2012, 10:30 AM 961787 in reply to 961782
    Scott G. Barnett Scott G. Barnett is not online. Last active: Thu, Nov 22 2012, 1:15 AM
    Top 50 Contributor
    Total Posts: 2,663
    Last Post: 11-22-2012
    Subject: Re: a few things aoe3 taught us about life
    Metis:

If you look at total crime, the US does have the highest total crime, especially of any of the "1st world" countries. Did I say the highest per-capita crime rate of anywhere in the world?

I think I said this:

Crime -- here the US is #1 but it's not something to brag about

Here is a source:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri-crime-total-crimes/

Also, if you want to find out all sorts of interesting things about the world we live in, check out this site:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/

Well, Metis, these crime statistics are about reported rime, not actual crime. America is the largest country in the world with a relatively efficient and honest way of documenting crime, so of course it has one of the highest numbers of reported crimes. According to that website, China, with a population of over one billion people, has experienced less than a thousand crimes. Who in the world would believe such a thing?

•  07-16-2012, 10:31 AM 961788 in reply to 961782
    Scott G. Barnett Scott G. Barnett is not online. Last active: Thu, Nov 22 2012, 1:15 AM
    Top 50 Contributor
    Total Posts: 2,663
    Last Post: 11-22-2012
    These crime statistics are about reported rime, not actual crime. America is the largest country in the world with a relatively efficient and honest way of documenting crime, so of course it has one of the highest numbers of reported crimes. According to that website, China, with a population of over one billion people, has experienced less than a thousand crimes. Who in the world would believe such a thing?
  •  07-16-2012, 10:47 AM 961789 in reply to 961782
    Katsu-S~S Katsu-S~S is not online. Last active: 03-18-2014, 9:50 PM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Total Posts: 406
    Last Post: 03-18-2014
    @metis man for someone who says to know soo much you should know we have one of the best if not the best justice system in the world. also look at mexico our neighbor you tell me we have more crime than they do? you must be out of your mind. i respect you man but your bashing on this country way too much. you seem eager to point out what a piece of crap our country has been since its birth, that isnt very fair. are you leftist? becouse thats how your starting to sound with all your bashing sure no country is perfect but this is the only country in the world that reports ALL crimes comitted. in countries like china they dont have freedom of the press so you cant really know how many people are killed, ****, intimidated or stortioned. there is more to this than meets the eye.
  •  07-16-2012, 11:11 AM 961799 in reply to 961789
    ottoman guy ottoman guy is not online. Last active: 07-26-2013, 4:13 AM
    Neverseparat= <3
    Top 500 Contributor
    Total Posts: 738
    Last Post: 07-26-2013
    Katsu-S~S:
    @metis man for someone who says to know soo much you should know we have one of the best if not the best justice system in the world. also look at mexico our neighbor you tell me we have more crime than they do? you must be out of your mind. i respect you man but your bashing on this country way too much. you seem eager to point out what a piece of crap our country has been since its birth, that isnt very fair. are you leftist? becouse thats how your starting to sound with all your bashing sure no country is perfect but this is the only country in the world that reports ALL crimes comitted. in countries like china they dont have freedom of the press so you cant really know how many people are killed, ****, intimidated or stortioned. there is more to this than meets the eye.
    I'm kinda with you on that one, but I don't really think Metis is bashing America. He's pointing out the flaws because some people earlier accused him of saying "AMERICA IS #1" or something like that, and he just wants to disprove to them.

[A414A] LorèneJtm:
    Brb bathroom.

J McMillin:
    whenever a colonly revolted, all the women turned into men
  •  07-16-2012, 11:24 AM 961807 in reply to 961782
    J McMillin J McMillin is not online. Last active: 03-11-2014, 1:01 AM
    [KOOEC]
    Top 200 Contributor
    Total Posts: 992
    Last Post: 03-11-2014
    Metis:

If you look at total crime, the US does have the highest total crime, especially of any of the "1st world" countries. Did I say the highest per-capita crime rate of anywhere in the world?

I think I said this:

Crime -- here the US is #1 but it's not something to brag about

Here is a source:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri-crime-total-crimes/

Also, if you want to find out all sorts of interesting things about the world we live in, check out this site:

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/

oh please. its not like mexico where drug lords actually run the country. or brazil where the goverenment launches military operations into the CAPITOL city. walk through central america Metis and then tell me America crime is so bad

kittychix:

If you know your behaviour or language is going to result in a ban, and continue with the actions anyway...you are heading in a direction of less then temporary action.

•  07-16-2012, 11:37 AM 961810 in reply to 961799
    Metis Metis is not online. Last active: Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:38 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Total Posts: 7,783
    Last Post: 12-26-2013

When did I ever say anything negative about America? I simple report the facts as I find them. If you want to disprove something I say then prove the statements non-factual. This is a casual debate so I'm not spending hours looking up and verifying sources, merely going by what I've learned in college and life with a quick look-up to see if I remembered correctly. There are probably errors.

I actually gave you a rather long essay of some professions that America needs. Are any of you working at one of them or something similar that the country is in dire need of? Any of you ever served in the military or in civilian emergency services. How does your job benefit the nation as a whole? How about simply volunteering or even just going across the street to that empty lot and picking up trash? 

And if you work for several years and attain an advanced degree will you want to go where you are most needed?  Would you, given the choice, work as a general practitioner in a small town of 1,500 in the southwestern US for $40,000 a year, hoping that you never get sued for malpractice as you can't afford the insurance? Or would you head to a large city where you could make $200,000 or more doing the same thing?

•  07-16-2012, 12:30 PM 961817 in reply to 961810
    scottp54 scottp54 is not online. Last active: 09-22-2013, 6:53 PM
    USA!
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 133
    Last Post: 09-22-2013
    Metis:

When did I ever say anything negative about America? I simple report the facts as I find them. If you want to disprove something I say then prove the statements non-factual. This is a casual debate so I'm not spending hours looking up and verifying sources, merely going by what I've learned in college and life with a quick look-up to see if I remembered correctly. There are probably errors.

I actually gave you a rather long essay of some professions that America needs. Are any of you working at one of them or something similar that the country is in dire need of? Any of you ever served in the military or in civilian emergency services. How does your job benefit the nation as a whole? How about simply volunteering or even just going across the street to that empty lot and picking up trash? 

And if you work for several years and attain an advanced degree will you want to go where you are most needed?  Would you, given the choice, work as a general practitioner in a small town of 1,500 in the southwestern US for $40,000 a year, hoping that you never get sued for malpractice as you can't afford the insurance? Or would you head to a large city where you could make $200,000 or more doing the same thing?

by memory with a quick check is the best way to go as it proves u know whats you're talking about. and since we know just about the same things i can say that you have been stating/referencing is true so dont worry about it :P

no most people dont do work just to do it, but thats a global scale thing

and no no one would really do that, only a few, because people are more self based than social based because honestly like you said worrying about malpractice suit, you cant trust other people to be fair.

republic vs communism independent vs social based. we are raised to worry about just us in most cases

TacticalWillie:
    No pikes are not half as good as dopps, for one they don't have a giant OP sword do they? nooo they only have a silly looking stick with a knife on the end and they don't even have a cool looking hat either!
  •  07-16-2012, 1:37 PM 961834 in reply to 961817
    Top 10 Contributor

Terms like "greater," "lesser," "better," "worse,' etc. have no absolute meaning. To say that one county is "greater" than another without precisely defining what you mean is, well, meaningless.

Now, if you want to create an index value of what makes a country "great" you might include such variables as longevity without a revolution or civil war, gross domestic product, environmental projects, state of the infrastructure, money spent on science and education, foreign and domestic aid, military might, cultural impact, historical significance, natural resources, number and longevity of alliances and hundreds, if not thousands, more variables.

Use some sophisticated multivariate analysis to crunch the data for all of the countries in the world (if you don't have a super computer then you will want to create a distributed computing project and tie together thousands of PC all over the worlds into a virtual supercomputer).

When you are done, you might get a value that gives you an idea of which is the "greatest" country -- at the specific time that you collected the data.

One man's opinion:

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mohandas Gandhi

BTW, many don't know this but Mohandas Gandhi didn't shirk military duty. He served in both the Boer War and Zulu Uprising (he is third from right, center row).

•  07-16-2012, 2:01 PM 961840 in reply to 961834
    scottp54 scottp54 is not online. Last active: 09-22-2013, 6:53 PM
    USA!
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 133
    Last Post: 09-22-2013
    Metis:

Terms like "greater," "lesser," "better," "worse,' etc. have no absolute meaning. To say that one county is "greater" than another without precisely defining what you mean is, well, meaningless.

Now, if you want to create an index value of what makes a country "great" you might include such variables as longevity without a revolution or civil war, gross domestic product, environmental projects, state of the infrastructure, money spent on science and education, foreign and domestic aid, military might, cultural impact, historical significance, natural resources, number and longevity of alliances and hundreds, if not thousands, more variables.

Use some sophisticated multivariate analysis to crunch the data for all of the countries in the world (if you don't have a super computer then you will want to create a distributed computing project and tie together thousands of PC all over the worlds into a virtual supercomputer).

When you are done, you might get a value that gives you an idea of which is the "greatest" country -- at the specific time that you collected the data.

One man's opinion:

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mohandas Gandhi

BTW, many don't know this but Mohandas Gandhi didn't shirk military duty. He served in both the Boer War and Zulu Uprising (he is third from right, center row).

America has the most animal cruelty laws and least abuse when averaged, so there u go, proved it yourself. and yes better worse, greater,lesser all do have meanings because i i say this fruit is better than that fruit and one is rotting i dont have to specify. if i say america is better than ummmm idk how boutttttttt uganda clearly its better and i dont need to say why becasue it is. if someoen wants specificatiosn they can ask or look it up i think.

ex when someone says ports beat germans in AoE you dont necessarily expect them to explain why right off, but u can ask and they will or u can look it up and see.

TacticalWillie:
    No pikes are not half as good as dopps, for one they don't have a giant OP sword do they? nooo they only have a silly looking stick with a knife on the end and they don't even have a cool looking hat either!
  •  07-16-2012, 2:24 PM 961846 in reply to 961788
    [KOOEC]
    Top 200 Contributor

Scott G. Barnett:
    These crime statistics are about reported rime, not actual crime. America is the largest country in the world with a relatively efficient and honest way of documenting crime, so of course it has one of the highest numbers of reported crimes. According to that website, China, with a population of over one billion people, has experienced less than a thousand crimes. Who in the world would believe such a thing?

in what category is america the largest country in the world? population? nope thats china. area? nope thats russia. so idk what you mean. 1000 crimes in china is pretty hilarious though. @ metis that online crime stats site seems woefully inaccurate. 

kittychix:

If you know your behaviour or language is going to result in a ban, and continue with the actions anyway...you are heading in a direction of less then temporary action.

•  07-16-2012, 2:40 PM 961850 in reply to 961846
    TheKillerClown_Sucks TheKillerClown_Sucks is not online. Last active: 12-11-2013, 6:52 PM
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 288
    Last Post: 12-11-2013
    J McMillin:

Scott G. Barnett:

in what category is america the largest country in the world? population? nope thats china. area? nope thats russia. so idk what you mean. 1000 crimes in china is pretty hilarious though. @ metis that online crime stats site seems woefully inaccurate. 

http://www.mediafire.com/?myxhtdlra42xh
  •  07-16-2012, 2:48 PM 961851 in reply to 959063
    Neverseperat Neverseperat is not online. Last active: 10-27-2014, 9:57 PM
    Top 25 Contributor
    Total Posts: 4,154
    Last Post: 10-27-2014
    Metis:

French settlers in the New World were all men; however, they sometimes could capture or be given native women, who immediately learned to speak French.

And guess what they were called? Metis!

TychoPsycho:
    I dislike Dutch the most cuz the envoy and flute sound like tards and the explorer yelling is so annoying when you tell him to attack.
  •  07-16-2012, 2:54 PM 961852 in reply to 961850
    [KOOEC]
    Top 200 Contributor
    TheKillerClown_Sucks:
    J McMillin:

Scott G. Barnett:

wups my bad. sorry scott. i read it wrong

kittychix:

•  07-16-2012, 3:28 PM 961856 in reply to 961851
    ottoman guy ottoman guy is not online. Last active: 07-26-2013, 4:13 AM
    Neverseparat= <3
    Top 500 Contributor
    Total Posts: 738
    Last Post: 07-26-2013
    Neverseperat:
    Metis:

French settlers in the New World were all men; however, they sometimes could capture or be given native women, who immediately learned to speak French.

And guess what they were called? Metis!

It's you! :DDDDD 

Very interesting facts Metis!  

[A414A] LorèneJtm:
    Brb bathroom.

J McMillin:
    whenever a colonly revolted, all the women turned into men
  •  07-16-2012, 3:37 PM 961857 in reply to 961852
    Top 10 Contributor

Rankings depend on the data. In any data set there will be outliers, which have to be considered when making comparisons. I haven't compiled the data myself from the CIA world factbook but the other site I linked said that their data came from there.

Here is another site to look at if you are really interested in international crime statistics.

This site is run by the US Department of Justice. 

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/ijs.cfm

Page 8 of 9 (121 items)   « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML