In patch 1.05 we are changing the way our game handles invisible players in the game setup window. We are making these changes to address the issue where players would immediately go Out of Sync at the start of a game. Instead of letting an invisible player join a game room we are preventing the invisible players from joining any games that they might cause to go Out of Sync. These changes will only prevent these players from joining games that they would be invisible in; all other games they can join without issue. We hope that this will help with some of the early Out of Syncs that players are experiencing.
In the current system, players that join a hosted game with incorrectly configured hardware may see a single invisible player. The invisible player issue is caused by incorrectly configured Routers and/or Network Cards, Anti-Virus Software, incorrectly set up Firewalls, or in a worst case scenario Internet Service Providers using conflicting hardware. Most of the time this can be fixed by resetting the network hardware or following the troubleshooting tips below.
If you are receiving the message “Failed to Join Game”
when trying to play on ESO, try these steps:
• Power Cycle your network hardware: Turn off your modem, router, and computer. Wait a few minutes then turn them back on one at a time in the listed order. Some routers need to be power cycled to except new versions of software such as Age of Empires 3.
• Disable Anti Virus, Anti Spyware, and other security software while you play Age of Empires 3.
• Upgrade your firmware on your router and your network card.
• Verify your Firewall or internet security software is allowing AGE3 to pass through.
• Disable your Firewall or internet security software temporarily while you test connecting to the game.
• Toggle UPnP (If you have UPnP on, try turning it off and if you have UPnP off, try turning it on.)
• Change your DMZ settings
• Port forward UDP and TCP/IP ports 2300-2310 to your machine. If that range does not work try expanding it to cover ports 2300-2340, or try using the OverridePort command listed below.
• Some routers have a Gaming Mode. Be sure to enable that option if your router supports this feature.
• If your router has logging turned on make sure to clean off your logs or restart logging before playing Age of Empires 3
• Change your computers IP on your router. Example: if your computer sits at 192.168.0.100 change it to 192.168.0.200
More information on configuring your router and steps can be found in our FAQ here http://forum.agecommunity.com/ibb/posts.aspx?postID=43019
[Edited on 8/30/2006 by ES_Swinger]