Age of Empires Forums

advanced
in

Last post 02-26-2013, 2:04 PM by musketeer925. 272 replies.
Page 16 of 19 (273 items)   « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts:
  •  10-03-2009, 12:58 PM 846291 in reply to 831722
    mhusoy mhusoy is not online. Last active: 11/02/2009, 11:13 AM
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 34
    Last Post: 11-02-2009
    Subject: Re: 9 of the most commonly asked questions concerning designing maps are answered here
    Hi people. Thanks a lot for a helpful thread about this challenging editor topic. :) I hope to try it out soon. I have the latest patch. I'll try to read more on this thread to pick up the best information - and to avoid asking unnecessary questions...
  •  10-03-2009, 5:56 PM 846327 in reply to 846291
    kjn kjn is not online. Last active: 09/03/2011, 6:25 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Total Posts: 5,629
    Last Post: 09-03-2011
    Subject: Re: 9 of the most commonly asked questions concerning designing maps are answered here

mhusoy,

Welcome aboard.

Happy to see we're able to help!

Best regards

•  10-04-2009, 8:51 AM 846424 in reply to 846291
    Top 10 Contributor

mhusoy:
    Hi people. Thanks a lot for a helpful thread about this challenging editor topic. :) I hope to try it out soon. I have the latest patch. I'll try to read more on this thread to pick up the best information - and to avoid asking unnecessary questions...

The "Scenario design question thread" can also help..I.E..If your willing to spend a little time reading..There's a lot of great information regarding scenario design questions in that ole thread too..

Regards

•  10-04-2009, 9:24 AM 846430 in reply to 180715
    Ezhidze Ezhidze is not online. Last active: 10-04-2009, 8:35 PM
    Cehnehdeh (anyone got the joke yet?)
    Top 500 Contributor
    Total Posts: 375
    Last Post: 10-04-2009
    Aoe3Champ:
    9 of the most commonly asked questions concerning custom designing maps, are answered here
    By AOE3Champ

P.s ES could you make this Sticky please???

1. My computer players don't move.

You have to assign an AI (Artificial Intelligence) to them. Like so:
    Place a Town Center or Covered Wagon at the desired location. If you place a Town Center use a normal (not the IGC) one.
    Place an "AI Start Object" for each computer player next to the Town Center or Covered Wagon or nearby. Go to the Objects Menu, select Place object, then find the object "***AIStartObject" and put it on the map. You can also add the AI Start object later on in the game with triggers. Then the AI will start working at the time the AI Start object is created.
    Go to the player’s menu ("Scenario" -> "Player Data") and select as "Control" for each human player "Human", for each computer player "Computer".
    Click "AI" and select aiLoaderStandard.xs (there're other AI files as well, although their exact functions are not understood). Then click "Open". Don't double-click the *.xs files, otherwise the scenario will 'forget' your AI settings (which is one of AoE3's bugs). Click once on the file, then "Open".
    To enable shipments select Home Cities for the players. "Reset HC" sets the default civilization-specific HC, "Set HC" displays the current one and enables individual selection.
    To support a specific AI behavior set according flags in "World" -> "Map Types", depending on the kind of your map.

Do that for every computer player you want to act like in normal random maps. (Don't assign an AI though to the player that actually plays the scenario, otherwise the human and the computer will both command the same units and buildings.)

It might also be that they don't work in play test mode -- only by choosing a custom scenario and actually playing the game.

2. How do I make a Cinematic Movie?

Use the Cinematic mode effect, and choose either ON or OFF in order to start or end the cinematic.
    Use the Cinematic Tools to create Camera Tracks, and integrate them in your cinematic with the Camera Track effect. Use Camera Cuts as well.
    To display text use Play Dialog.
    If you want the units not to automatically start fights, use SetIdleProcessing OFF. Don't forget to turn it ON again when the cinematic ends.
    For in game cinematic, use the effect Deselect Units. This hides the ugly waypoint flag.
    If you use a low camera angle use skies in order to make your cinematic look better.
    Don't show the borders of the map in a cinematic. It just looks ugly.

3. How do I add sound to my scenario?

Use the effect Sound Filename. Note that the editor only accepts sounds in .wav and .mp3 format.

4. Where are all my scenarios?

Unlike previous games like Age of Kings, AoE3 scenario files are stored in the "My Games" folder. Go to "My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Scenario".

5. How do I place a Trading Post (in the editor)? If I place a Socket, I cannot place the Post on top.

There're different kinds of Sockets (you can access a whole list of them in the Place Object menu). In order to make them work you have to distinguish between the two basic types:
    A Socket as a Native American village:
    Firstly, go to the Native American Manager. Tick the boxes to determine which tribes can be used on your map. Then place a Socket of that tribe and you can put a Trading Post on top.
    A Socket next to a trade route is even easier:
    Position the specific Socket for trade routes next to a trade route (use the Trade Route Tool to create one) and you can place a Trading Post on top. If there's no trade route next to it won't work.

6. How do I take an in-game screenshot?

CTRL-F12 (Or PrtScr) creates a screenshot, which will be created in "My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Screenshots", while CTRL-ALT-F12 will create a full map screenshot, located in the same area.

7. File types: Where do all of AoE3's file types go?

If it is:
    . Age3scn it's a scenario, place it in "My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Scenario".
    . Age3sav it's a saved game, place it in the "My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Savegame" folder.
    . Age3rec it's a recorded game, place it in the "My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Savegame" folder.
    .ddt it's a texture, place it in the "\art" folder.
    .wav it's a sound file, place it in the "\Sound" folder.
    .mp3 it's a sound file, place it in the "\Sound" folder.

a Random Map (RM) goes to "My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\RM".

8. Waves: How do I get those nice waves on my coastlines?

There's two ways you can do this. One is a lot easier then the other, but doesn't work for all river and sea types.
    To try the automatic method, you can either select "edit water" and then select "beautify" which will add even waves, rocks, tree and MISC. to your coastline.
    Manually, you can search under objects and find "Wave" and place them down manually wherever you wish. However this wave doesn't look as realistic as the normal waves and moves way too fast. In AoM this way was possible, but here it just looks ugly. So go for the first option.

9. When I play my scenario I control the wrong player's units.

The scenario will be played through the perspective of the last player you used in the editor, for example in the Place Object or Play test Scenario menu.

To play as the right player, select the right player and save the scenario, like so:
    Changing the player in the Place Object or Play test Scenario menu changes the active player. So make sure to select the right player here before saving the final version of your scenario.
    You can also switch between players in the editor with a hotkey combination: Press CTRL+F (number of player)
    Example: CTRL+F1 for player 1.
    Then save the scenario and you're done.

HOPE THIS CLEARS ALL THOSE PESKY QUESTIONS, RETARDS....AOE3CHAMP

[Edited on 4/19/2006]

Pearsoap is a quitter, don't play with him.
  •  10-04-2009, 6:38 PM 846560 in reply to 846430
    Top 10 Contributor

LOL,

What happened to the last three post of this page..They vanished??

•  10-07-2009, 2:26 PM 847250 in reply to 846430
    Top 10 Contributor

9 of the most commonly asked questions concerning custom designing maps, are answered here
    By AOE3Champ

P.s ES could you make this Sticky please???

1. My computer players don't move.

You have to assign an AI (Artificial Intelligence) to them. Like so:
    Place a Town Center or Covered Wagon at the desired location. If you place a Town Center use a normal (not the IGC) one.
    Place an "AI Start Object" for each computer player next to the Town Center or Covered Wagon or nearby. Go to the Objects Menu, select Place object, then find the object "***AIStartObject" and put it on the map. You can also add the AI Start object later on in the game with triggers. Then the AI will start working at the time the AI Start object is created.
    Go to the player’s menu ("Scenario" -> "Player Data") and select as "Control" for each human player "Human", for each computer player "Computer".
    Click "AI" and select aiLoaderStandard.xs (there're other AI files as well, although their exact functions are not understood). Then click "Open". Don't double-click the *.xs files, otherwise the scenario will 'forget' your AI settings (which is one of AoE3's bugs). Click once on the file, then "Open".
    To enable shipments select Home Cities for the players. "Reset HC" sets the default civilization-specific HC, "Set HC" displays the current one and enables individual selection.
    To support a specific AI behavior set according flags in "World" -> "Map Types", depending on the kind of your map.

Do that for every computer player you want to act like in normal random maps. (Don't assign an AI though to the player that actually plays the scenario, otherwise the human and the computer will both command the same units and buildings.)

It might also be that they don't work in play test mode -- only by choosing a custom scenario and actually playing the game.

2. How do I make a Cinematic Movie?

Use the Cinematic mode effect, and choose either ON or OFF in order to start or end the cinematic.
    Use the Cinematic Tools to create Camera Tracks, and integrate them in your cinematic with the Camera Track effect. Use Camera Cuts as well.
    To display text use Play Dialog.
    If you want the units not to automatically start fights, use SetIdleProcessing OFF. Don't forget to turn it ON again when the cinematic ends.
    For in game cinematic, use the effect Deselect Units. This hides the ugly waypoint flag.
    If you use a low camera angle use skies in order to make your cinematic look better.
    Don't show the borders of the map in a cinematic. It just looks ugly.

3. How do I add sound to my scenario?

Use the effect Sound Filename. Note that the editor only accepts sounds in .wav and .mp3 format.

4. Where are all my scenarios?

Unlike previous games like Age of Kings, AoE3 scenario files are stored in the "My Games" folder. Go to "My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Scenario".

5. How do I place a Trading Post (in the editor)? If I place a Socket, I cannot place the Post on top.

There're different kinds of Sockets (you can access a whole list of them in the Place Object menu). In order to make them work you have to distinguish between the two basic types:
    A Socket as a Native American village:
    Firstly, go to the Native American Manager. Tick the boxes to determine which tribes can be used on your map. Then place a Socket of that tribe and you can put a Trading Post on top.
    A Socket next to a trade route is even easier:
    Position the specific Socket for trade routes next to a trade route (use the Trade Route Tool to create one) and you can place a Trading Post on top. If there's no trade route next to it won't work.

6. How do I take an in-game screenshot?

CTRL-F12 (Or PrtScr) creates a screenshot, which will be created in "My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Screenshots", while CTRL-ALT-F12 will create a full map screenshot, located in the same area.

7. File types: Where do all of AoE3's file types go?

If it is:
    . Age3scn it's a scenario, place it in "My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Scenario".
    . Age3sav it's a saved game, place it in the "My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Savegame" folder.
    . Age3rec it's a recorded game, place it in the "My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Savegame" folder.
    .ddt it's a texture, place it in the "\art" folder.
    .wav it's a sound file, place it in the "\Sound" folder.
    .mp3 it's a sound file, place it in the "\Sound" folder.

a Random Map (RM) goes to "My Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\RM".

8. Waves: How do I get those nice waves on my coastlines?

There's two ways you can do this. One is a lot easier then the other, but doesn't work for all river and sea types.
    To try the automatic method, you can either select "edit water" and then select "beautify" which will add even waves, rocks, tree and MISC. to your coastline.
    Manually, you can search under objects and find "Wave" and place them down manually wherever you wish. However this wave doesn't look as realistic as the normal waves and moves way too fast. In AoM this way was possible, but here it just looks ugly. So go for the first option.

9. When I play my scenario I control the wrong player's units.

The scenario will be played through the perspective of the last player you used in the editor, for example in the Place Object or Play test Scenario menu.

To play as the right player, select the right player and save the scenario, like so:
    Changing the player in the Place Object or Play test Scenario menu changes the active player. So make sure to select the right player here before saving the final version of your scenario.
    You can also switch between players in the editor with a hotkey combination: Press CTRL+F (number of player)
    Example: CTRL+F1 for player 1.
    Then save the scenario and you're done.

HOPE THIS CLEARS ALL THOSE PESKY QUESTIONS, REGARDS....AOE3CHAMP

THAT'S THE WAY THIS WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED!

Regards

•  10-17-2009, 6:37 PM 849440 in reply to 518793
    Top 10 Contributor
    Subject: Re: Repost win/lose
    kjn:

Example of a four player win/lose trigger sequence..Your player1..Player2 ally.. Player 3 and 4 enemy.

Trigger1

Trigger: active

Condition: All units and building dead (Player1)

Effect: Set player defeated (Player1)

Trigger2

Condition: All units and buildings dead (Player2)

Effect: Set player defeated (Player2)

Trigger3

Condition: All units and buildgs dead (Player3)

Condition: All units and buildings dead (Player4)

Effect: Set player defeated (Player3)

Effect: Win message ( what ever message you want displayed) Sound (what ever sound you want) 

Effect: Fire event ( to  trigger4)

Trigger4

Trigger: nothing

Condition: Timer (5 sec)

Effect : Go to main menu

Hope this helps a little!

kjn

•  10-17-2009, 6:43 PM 849442 in reply to 847250
    Top 10 Contributor
    Next scenario design question?
  •  10-17-2009, 10:40 PM 849468 in reply to 849442
    GeorgeCusterd GeorgeCusterd is not online. Last active: 04-17-2012, 9:24 PM
    BF2 pwning and a little aoe3
    Top 150 Contributor
    Total Posts: 1,159
    Last Post: 04-17-2012

Wish there were more people here....Sorry kjn, have been away.  And BTW, I don't play too much aoe anymore but do you have any guides on making videos?

fox-games.forumn.netMy Battlefield 2, Combat Arms, Runes Of Magic Clan's website (ya i know it is a mix of alot of games)
  •  10-18-2009, 12:05 AM 849481 in reply to 849442
    Banned till 2161 Banned till 2161 is not online. Last active: 17-12-2009, 2:25 PM
    ESO+Forums banned. BANLAND!
    Top 500 Contributor
    Total Posts: 551
    Last Post: 12-17-2009

kjn:

Well.... I figured the win/men appearing bit out, and someone has probably already asked this, when I test my scenario/when it's over, I can only see that persons viewpoint. How do I fix this? 

O noes! My ESO AND forums have beens banned!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  •  10-18-2009, 7:30 AM 849559 in reply to 849468
    Top 10 Contributor
    GeorgeCusterd:

Wish there were more people here....Sorry kjn, have been away.  And BTW, I don't play too much aoe anymore but do you have any guides on making videos?

Hello GeorgeCusterd,

It's great to see you around again..I was beginning to feel like the maytag repairman..I don't know what is going to happen around here as far as scenario design..If things don't pic up?.

As far as a video guide..Are you referring to AOE3?.If so?.The only guide I know of is at the wiki faqs..Also..You can use the search function at H.G..Should bring up a few good threads on the subject..

Great to be posting to you again!

Regards

•  10-18-2009, 7:49 AM 849560 in reply to 849481
    Top 10 Contributor
    Kapow:

kjn:

Well.... I figured the win/men appearing bit out, and someone has probably already asked this, when I test my scenario/when it's over, I can only see that persons viewpoint. How do I fix this? 

Welcome to the thread..

Happy to see your news on the win/lose sequence..

As far as the black map,  fog of war..(Your second question)..With reyks editor mod..You can eliminate this to some degree..When you playtest and then quit..You will be able to see the entire map again..However..If you play through the entire scenario..You still will only be able to see your player's area and if you have an ally?.You'll see that too..I don't know of any way to get rid of the black map all together..Just something that is hard coded I suppose..

If you're not using reyk's editor mod yet and decide to download it?.Just make sure you're downloading the correct version for the version of the game you're playing..

For Vanilla..There are two versions of reyk's editor..One version for before patch1.04 and one version for after patch 1.04..

For the warchiefs or tad..You want the XY version of reyk's editor mod..(The most recent)..

reyks editor mod is easy to install..It is easy to uninstall as well..Just follow the directions in the read-me file that is included in the downlaod..

Oh..You can find the downloads at H.G. downloads, misc. file section

Regards

•  10-18-2009, 7:58 AM 849561 in reply to 849481
    Top 10 Contributor
    Kapow:

kjn:

I posted you and wouldn't you know..Another "under moderation post"..This is the second post in two days..I didn't use any links or copy/ paste..Whats up with this crap??

If/when.. The post Finally gets approved??You'll get your answer..Sorry this has happened..It's any wonder we're losing interest in scenario design around here..Lousy to no support!

•  10-19-2009, 3:28 PM 849837 in reply to 849561
    Top 10 Contributor

Kapow..

Your post has been posted..They approved it in a timely fashion..My faith has been somewhat restored!.Again my apologies for my part in the delay!

•  10-23-2009, 8:17 PM 850739 in reply to 849837
    Banned till 2161 Banned till 2161 is not online. Last active: 17-12-2009, 2:25 PM
    ESO+Forums banned. BANLAND!
    Top 500 Contributor
    Total Posts: 551
    Last Post: 12-17-2009

another question. objectives. how the hell do you do them?

O noes! My ESO AND forums have beens banned!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Page 16 of 19 (273 items)   « First ... < Previous 14 15 16 17 18 Next > ... Last »
View as RSS news feed in XML