Age of Empires Forums

advanced
in

Last post 05-30-2007, 1:49 PM by ES_Thunder. 0 replies.
Sort Posts:
  •  05-30-2007, 1:49 PM 496318
    ES_Thunder ES_Thunder is not online. Last active: 08/19/2011, 1:26 AM
    Dallas, TX
    Top 500 Contributor
    ES Moderator
    Total Posts: 577
    Last Post: 08-19-2011
    Lightning [li] Subject: Answers to some Frequently asked Questions

Ensemble Studios Producer Brian Lemon and The Asian Dynasties Lead Designer Ike Ellis, from Big Huge Games, have answered some of the initial questions that Age fans have had regarding the second expansion pack for the game.

Q) Do I have to buy the WarChiefs (TWC) in order to be able to install and play The Asian Dynasties (TAD)?

Why, no! You can install and play TAD with or without the WarChiefs installed. Of course, you'll get the ultimate Age 3 experience if you have both expansions.

Q) How will the expansion work and interact with the Vanilla AoE3 players and TWC players? If I have Vanilla and TAD and I launch TAD in multiplayer, do I have access to TWC civs, cards, techs, maps?

With both TAD and TWC installed, you can play with any combination of any of the Civs on any of the maps from all three games. This is especially important for reenacting the famous Sioux / Japanese wars of 1600. ;)

As a further example, players who have just TAD can play games with players who have TAD and TWC, but naturally the content and civilizations from TWC will be unavailable for such a game.

Q) Right now there is segregation in the gaming communities of AoE3: Vanilla and TWC players. They cannot play with each other, only with their group. Will TAD introduce a new subgroup?

Yes. There will be a third group of players on ESO, now. The really cool thing, though, is that TAD players with TWC installed can play against people without TWC. They just can't use the TWC Civs in those games.

Q) Will TAD include the treaty game type? Will TAD introduce new game types?

All of the new rules from TWC are carried over into TAD. Treaty games and Trade Monopoly are both available. TAD introduces several new game types, itself. We've brought back two of our favorite old "standards" from Age 2, Relic Victory and King of the Hill. King of the Hill is very similar to how it was in Age 2. Relic Victory has been updated so that Relics are found at treasure sites. If one team manages to claim all of them, a victory timer begins.

Q) Will the system requirements for TAD be similar to those of Age III and The WarChiefs?

They'll be exactly the same.

Q) Will there be a TAD demo? When would it be release?

We haven't announced anything to date but we'll keep you posted.

Q) Will TAD introduce new minor natives to appear on random maps? Will TAD maps have trading posts the same as Age III?

You will find all new minor natives on the new random maps. Our artists have done a superb job on these native sites, so I hope you like them as much as I do. The trading posts are the same as in Age 3, but some of the new maps shake up the formula a little. For instance, on Silk Road, instead of building Trading Posts to claim these sites, you have to kill guardians to take control of the Trading Posts that already exist.

Q) Who is responsible for balance patches for TAD, Ensemble or BHG?

Like we've done during development, balance will be a shared responsibility. BHG will handle much of the legwork of balancing TAD, itself. Since the new Civs must be balanced against the Europeans and Native American Civs, though, we work very closely with the Ensemble balance team. We've developed a great relationship between the ridiculously good players on the balance teams at both BHG and Ensemble.

Q) Will there be new winning conditions in TAD, like Regicide?

We haven't announced anything to date but we'll keep you posted.

Q) Will TAD be release for the Mac?

We are still looking at that.  If you want it...tell our friends at MacSoft!

View as RSS news feed in XML