Age of Empires Forums

advanced
in

Last post 10-24-2011, 6:54 PM by Ruv. 11 replies.
Sort Posts:
  •  10-17-2011, 9:10 AM 941583
    Ruv Ruv is not online. Last active: 04-06-2013, 11:28 AM
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 198
    Last Post: 04-06-2013
    Subject: customizing AOE3 lighting

Hi everybody.  Coffee

I'm working on a map, and I'd really like to modify the lighting.  I know about the many light offerings that come with the game, but I want to make my own.  I esp. want to get the darn "clouds" up higher.

Couple of months ago, I saw a really great posting/article/tutorial/whatever about doing some really slick, advanced light work with AOE3.  But I bookmarked it on another computer and can't find the posting again.

Does anybody have a suggestion for this?  I have looked (I think) in a number of the obvious places, but I'm not seeing it yet.

Thanks! 

•  10-17-2011, 2:51 PM 941606 in reply to 941583
    musketeer925 musketeer925 is not online. Last active: 03-13-2014, 9:15 PM
    Head of Custom Content (Unofficial)
    Top 25 Contributor
    Total Posts: 4,013
    Last Post: 03-13-2014
    Subject: Re: customizing AOE3 lighting
    I don't know of any tutorials, but Lightset files are found in the art1.bar with the .LGT.xmb extension. These can be extracted and converted to .LGT using AoE3Ed and you can then edit them with notepad and place the edited lightset in art\lightsets\.
  •  10-17-2011, 4:09 PM 941609 in reply to 941606
    Mister_SCP Mister_SCP is not online. Last active: 11-14-2013, 11:59 PM
    kbGetTownLocation();
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 135
    Last Post: 11-14-2013

a) by triggers->Mister SCP's triggerset http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=2419

b) by editor tools (more limited as triggers) -> SCP editor tools

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=3129

(is a bit outdated thought (i wont make further updates maybe until K&B is out (i have upgrade unit visuals buttons and such stuff :P )

c) with notepad as mentioned before (afaik reloading game could be required)

http://wiki.heavengames.com/age/Intermediate_Guide_to_Lighting (a guide by As_Saffah)

happy Tryout

•  10-17-2011, 8:28 PM 941634 in reply to 941609
    Not Ranked

Hey, Musk!  :o)  And hello and thank you to Mister_SCP, too.  :o)

The info in these 2 posts was just what I needed.  I think (hope) I'll be fine now.

It hadn't occurred to me that I could just dig out the light file and find out how to make my own that way.  But I do OK with sort of thing.

I've been thinking more about the old posting I saw on lighting.  I remember being dazzled by the chart the author had put together showing the different color dimensions of each of the AOE3 light offerings.  (The chart even had color chips for each of the different colors in each light.  And I remember him talking about how it was important to think about where the sun was in relationship to the player.  The height of the sun on the horizon also made all kinds of differences in how the player experienced a particular light.

As for reloading the game . . . I really don't want to do that again anytime soon.  It takes awhile for all of the discs and the online updates.  But mostly the whole process worries me because I've got so much stuff that I'd want to save.  Scenarios and maps are easy to save and return.  But I have made lots of changes to the stringtable.  This stuff is all cosmetic, but it really makes the game better for me.  A simple example is my getting rid of a boatload of the tooltips that don't help but always annoy.  You know, stuff like how the game is constantly telling us that a tree is a tree!  <lol>  I tried just turning off my tooltips, but  still need some of the info.  I esp. like know how many people I have working in each plantation or farm.

Thank you guys very much for getting me started here with the light work.  :o)

•  10-17-2011, 10:11 PM 941639 in reply to 941634
    musketeer925 musketeer925 is not online. Last active: 03-13-2014, 9:15 PM
    Head of Custom Content (Unofficial)
    Top 25 Contributor
    Total Posts: 4,013
    Last Post: 03-13-2014
    Ruv:
    It hadn't occurred to me that I could just dig out the light file and find out how to make my own that way.
    I always feel special when I do it this way -- then I can feel like a real modder, someone who goes in and messes with things until something works, someone who digs through code to find the right thing. Knowing how to read instructions doesn't make me feel as special (although for me, it is very often necessary. But I usually tend to try to figure it out on my own, then I move to tutorials, and then I might ask a question.)

Please keep asking questions though, as I love answering them. :) Your questions are always well-based and I usually learn something new with every one.

•  10-17-2011, 11:53 PM 941642 in reply to 941639
    Not Ranked

Thanks, Musk.  I actually kind of needed that.  I'm at a point where I always have questions--often just some little niggly thing--but I'm still lousy at finding a lot of the stuff that you and the others have pointed out for me.  But I know enough about your end of things to understand that it's not-cool to ask you and the others to repeat yourselves forever.  :o)

I also get a little bummed sometimes when it seems that the Age of RMS is increasingly behind us.  And damn.

Just tonight, when I was looking at the links Mister_SPC suggested, I found all kinds of great info.  And, again, it was mostly random mapping commands that I'd never seen before.  Seems like someplace there must be a dusty old journal or manual that lists all of the commands!  :o)    Anyway, ... it looked like one of the forums for map scripting was still active.  Great news, that.

I just started playing Germany.  I love Japan--with one exception--I can't stand to listen to the voices Ensemble chose for Japan.  They sound like cartoon mice!  And they talk a LOT. <lol>  But I missed the AI talk and all of the other noise, so I thought I'd try Germany.  And Germany . . . I was probably spoiled by Japan, but, even with a maintained, upgraded Trading Post, the darn shipments from the German home cities are soooooooooooooooooooo slow!  <lol>  In fact, the reason I came online tonight was to find Metis' Boom notes for Germany.  I figure he will have the clearest notes and explain it better than anybody.

Know what I mostly want to do with the lighting?  I really like the NE lighting--it makes a terrific match for the NW coastal waters.  It's sort of pewter- orcoppper colored.  But I never play using that light.  I always play using the mod to get up off the ground a ways.  Well, there are only maybe 6 maps that don't have the low-to-the-ground light level.  (I call the geometric plane where the sky/light is generated the "cloud layer," even though I know it's not.  I does look like the cloud cover from above and within!  <lol>  Now I'm betting that I'll have the light I need w/in a week.  :o)

•  10-18-2011, 2:26 PM 941682 in reply to 941642
    kbGetTownLocation();
    Not Ranked

reload = go to main menu and exit aoe3.->RE-start game (aoe3(x/y).exe). it has nothing to do with RE-install

•  10-18-2011, 3:18 PM 941689 in reply to 941682
    Not Ranked

@Mister_SCP:  OK, I totally missed that.

But I may still be missing something here.  Occasionally, I'll have an evening when I re-LOAD often, just to see if the changes I'm making are working out the way I imagined.  (This is just little stuff, like changing some of the lines in the stringtable. 

Since I've had AOE3, I've had to re-INSTALL the game twice.   Once when my brother build me a new computer.  And another time when the game was getting a little confused.  (Example: the Scenario Editor was "forgetting" the colors I assigned to player positions in a scenario.  And the forgetfulness was on and off.  A couple of other odd problems like that left me thinking I needed a clean reinstall.  The reinstall fixed the problems just fine.  And I mostly kept everything I'd had before the reinstall.  The only thing I lost completely was my playing experience; I had start each of my cities at level 10.

AND . . . I'm glad you came around! . . . I was up half the night the other day reading your EXCELLENT tutorials on lighting and the rest.  (You'd left the links for me in a posting.)  You were te guy I was talking about who had put together the advanced tutorial (you called it Intermediate).  It was your tutorial that had all of the great color patches for the different light options.

Seems like most of the guys who did the tutorials in the early days have since gone on to other things.  So it was great to find you still around.  :o)  It was also a nice surprise to find that forum where people were asking about C++ map scripting.  I'd about quit looking for anybody who was actively working on maps.  I don't mind figuring this stuff out by myself, but it's so slow sometimes, and there's a lot that I'd never get at all.  Anyway, your tuts were really a joy to read--you saved me, I dunno, maybe a hundred or so hours figuring out all of that stuff on my own using trial-and-error.  :o)  I'm sure you'll see me over there in the scripting page pretty soon.

Do you, by chance, know if there even exists a manual with all of the Ensemble Studios rmCommands()?  I keep finding new ones!

Coffee

•  10-19-2011, 11:34 AM 941795 in reply to 941689
    kbGetTownLocation();
    Not Ranked

thank you for the compliments :D but I'm not Crunkatog. I have worked with him to create these guides and did trigger coding and this stuff to make changing lights in game possible

but my english isnt that good and therefor i wont get a account at the AgeWiki

well for RMS: (Random map script))

Commands can be found in this package (even if it is AOM)->might miss some, or some commands arent included

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=7883&f=&st=10&ci=

a list of all commands can be found in My games\AOE3\RM3\anymap.dmp

it's a pain to read because it's neither explained what it does nor what parameters are used but you get a) a list of all variables and commands which you can use in RMS

b)the count of params

We have a good RMS scripter in K&B (knights and Babarians) you might get help from him (AOE_Fan)

other famous RMS designers:

pftq (you migh find stuff for RMS on his Homepage)

RF_Gandalf (he could help you if you post at aoe3h in RMS question thread (i doubt he's still around)

musketeer925 has also RMS experience 

•  10-20-2011, 7:02 PM 941881 in reply to 941795
    Not Ranked

@Mister_SCP: If you have worked with Crunkatog, then my thanks go to you both.  :o)

This one I have:

http://aom.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=7883&f=&st=10&ci=

But I think many commands are not there.   Maybe I am not looking in the right place?  Here are 2 commands that I like a lot, but I do not see them in the big AOM list:

rmSetOceanReveal(true/false);

rmRiverReveal(riverID, int shoreline illumination);

You wrote: "a list of all commands can be found in My games\AOE3\RM3\anymap.dmp" and I am not sure what URL that is.

I have heard of Gandalf, but I think he is gone.  Musketeer925 has helped me many times, but I think he mostly works with the Scenario Editor, so a lot of RMS questions might be a nuisance for him.  :o)

Tonight I am working on lighting--starting with the guides you and Crunkatog made-- so probably I will have a question for you soon.  :o)

•  10-21-2011, 1:08 PM 941919 in reply to 941881
    kbGetTownLocation();
    Not Ranked

this is a link to a uploaded dmp file

http://code.google.com/p/xmlaoe/source/browse/trunk/RM/Age3RMBayou.dmp.txt?spec=svn6&r=6

around line 1400 you ll find all commands + parameters

(no explanation)

•  10-24-2011, 6:54 PM 942223 in reply to 941919
    Not Ranked

@Mister_SCP:  OK, I'm in trouble now.  I'm lost.  Tongue Tied

(1)  I got the dmp file just fine, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at ... Are these the game commands that control each of the lighting types we have??  If so, then I could go to the dmp file in my own copy of the game and change some of the lighting parameters??

(2)  I went through the Intermediate Lighting tutorial.  It was great.  And really nice that you took the trouble to add the pictures--everything is very clear that way, so not so much confusion.  :o)

But ... I'm still not sure how to make a new, custom lighting.   For example, I really like many of the light options in the game (Editor), and putting those lights in the maps is no problem.  But I cannot use most of the lighting options if I zoom out very far.  A few of the lights are fine if I zoom out--Great Plains, Paris Day, etc.  But most of the lights are set very low to the ground, so it is like I am above the clouds.  :o(

[Note: I have a mod that lets me zoom way out when working on maps.  I understand that I cannot use this zoom mod when playing with others online, so please do not think I am cheating.  I have already been told about that.  :o) ]

__________I'm sorry to be asking such basic questions, and I know English is a hassle for you sometimes, but I hope you'll stick with me a little longer here.

Thank you very much.      Coffee

View as RSS news feed in XML