Age of Empires Forums

advanced
in

Last post 07-22-2012, 6:31 AM by Metis. 8 replies.
Sort Posts:
  •  07-21-2012, 11:33 AM 962578
    Luckyyy Luckyyy is not online. Last active: 08-06-2012, 9:27 PM
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2012
    Subject: CRC Mismatch

Hi, me and my sister are trying to play over LAN, and it always says CRC Mismatch. She has Vista and I have Windows 7. We are using the same product, installed on both of the PCs. Could that be the cause? We have reinstalled and checked that we have the same files and patches, but it still won't work. Anybody got any ideas? 

•  07-21-2012, 12:48 PM 962580 in reply to 962578
    Metis Metis is not online. Last active: Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:38 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Total Posts: 7,783
    Last Post: 12-26-2013
    Subject: Re: CRC Mismatch

A CRC mismatch will occur when both games don't have the same patch version. You can check to see if your game is patched properly by going online and seeing if the majority of games listed there show CRC mismatch.

It is unclear as to whether you have installed the same purchase of the game twice on two separate computers. You are allowed to do this only of the second computer is a laptop also owned by the purchaser of the game. You are not supposed to install the same purchase on two PCs and then try to play them over a LAN.

•  07-21-2012, 4:37 PM 962593 in reply to 962578
    Katsu-S~S Katsu-S~S is not online. Last active: 03-18-2014, 9:50 PM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Total Posts: 406
    Last Post: 03-18-2014
    Luckyyy:

Hi, me and my sister are trying to play over LAN, and it always says CRC Mismatch. She has Vista and I have Windows 7. We are using the same product, installed on both of the PCs. Could that be the cause? We have reinstalled and checked that we have the same files and patches, but it still won't work. Anybody got any ideas? 

are you both girls(ur sis obviously is) never mind that doesnt matter go to options or tools were it say "update game" do this on both computers i had same issue with ma cusin and it was our antivirus that wouldnt let us conect. go to the firewall and place the option to conect via lan to another pc this might help.
  •  07-21-2012, 7:20 PM 962601 in reply to 962593
    Not Ranked

Thanks for the tips. And yes, we are both girls :) 

The game is up do date on both computers and I'm able to play ESO.

The WarChiefs disc was lost some time ago, so we use a downloaded version of this expansion pack. Both AoE3 and AD have the original discs. I'm wondering if buying a new WC disc would solve the problem. I thought that the mismatch would only occur if we had different files on the computer, but the game was installed in the exact same way with the same files.  

•  07-21-2012, 7:58 PM 962609 in reply to 962601
    HunterCallahan HunterCallahan is not online. Last active: 09-13-2013, 10:24 AM
    <Insert clever location here>
    Top 75 Contributor
    Total Posts: 1,862
    Last Post: 09-13-2013

Where did you download the War Chiefs from? It might not function properly if it's not legal. You can see if The War Chiefs is the issue by simply attempting to play a game in vanilla (AoE3 w/o expansions).

You can find the proper patches for the game here:

Vanilla

TWC

TAD

If you patch both of the installations of the game, and you still get CRC mismatch, then I would recommend re-installing the game on both computers.

cam44:

wut inn thee fawk r u tokking abowt?
  •  07-21-2012, 8:38 PM 962610 in reply to 962601
    Katsu-S~S Katsu-S~S is not online. Last active: 03-18-2014, 9:50 PM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Total Posts: 406
    Last Post: 03-18-2014
    Luckyyy:

Thanks for the tips. And yes, we are both girls :) 

The game is up do date on both computers and I'm able to play ESO.

The WarChiefs disc was lost some time ago, so we use a downloaded version of this expansion pack. Both AoE3 and AD have the original discs. I'm wondering if buying a new WC disc would solve the problem. I thought that the mismatch would only occur if we had different files on the computer, but the game was installed in the exact same way with the same files.  

ah now you tell us of course thats the problem you have the warchiefs on one but not the other, yes get the twc disk from amazon pretty cheap (12-15bucks) whats your eso account? so we can play sometime

•  07-22-2012, 6:31 AM 962640 in reply to 962610
    Top 10 Contributor

Even if both computers have original installs of AOE III and The Asian Dynasties (TAD), if one also has The Warchiefs (TWC) and tries to host a LAN game using content from this expansion (civilizations and/or maps) then the other won't be able to join.

If you both have separate original purchases of the basic game, then you should be able to join a LAN game if you both run basic game if both games are patched with the same patch.

If you both have original purchases of the TAD expansion but only one computer has the TWC expansion then you still can play TAD over a LAN if the computer that has TWC turns off the option to use use TWC content when hosting a game. Again, both computers must have their expansions patched with the same patch version.

It's still unclear whether you legally downloaded the TWC expansion pack (I don't know of any official downloads of just the TWC expansion). If you downloaded content from an illegal site, even if it was to replace a "lost" disk, we cannot help you further. Uninstall all non-legitimate copies and purchase two legitimate copies of the Complete Collection then you will be able to play over LAN and also online over the Internet.

Also, it is still unclear whether or not you have two separate purchased copies of both the basic game and of its expansions. You may install a single purchase game on two computers if one is a PC and the other a laptop, both owned by the original purchaser. However, you are not supposed to set up a single purchase on multiple computers to play a LAN game. Any legitimate multiplayer use requires separate purchases of the game and of its expansions for each player.

It is also a violation of the software license agreement to download and install a pirated copy of the original game or an expansion, even if you once owned a purchased a copy. Remember that this is an official Microsoft website and MS doesn't support software obtained, installed, or used in a non-legitimate fashion.

•  07-22-2012, 6:32 AM 962641 in reply to 962610
    Top 10 Contributor

Even if both computers have original installs of AOE III and The Asian Dynasties (TAD), if one also has The Warchiefs (TWC) and tries to host a LAN game while running this expansion then the other won't be able to join.

If you both have separate original purchases of the basic game, then you should be able to join a LAN game if you both run only the basic game (application age3.exe), if both games are patched with the same patch.

If you both have original purchases of the TAD expansion but only one computer has the TWC expansion then you still can play TAD over a LAN if the computer that has TWC turns off the option to use use this content when hosting a TAD game. Again, both computers must have their TAD expansions patched with the same patch version.

It's still unclear whether you legally downloaded the TWC expansion pack (I don't know of any official downloads of just the TWC expansion). If you downloaded content from an illegal site, even if it was to replace a "lost" disk, we cannot help you further. Uninstall all non-legitimate copies and obtain legitimate copies of the game and you will be able to play over LAN and also online over the Internet.

Also, it is still unclear whether or not you have two separate purchased copies of both the basic game and of its expansions. You may install a single purchase game on two computers if one is a PC and the other a laptop, both owned by the original purchaser. However, you are not supposed to use a single purchase on multiple computers to play a LAN game. Multiplayer use requires a separate purchase of the game and of its expansions for each player.

It is also a violation of the software license agreement to download and install a pirated copy of the original game or an expansion, even if you once owned a purchased a copy. Remember that this is an official Microsoft website and MS doesn't support software obtained, installed, or used in a non-legitimate fashion.

How to replace lost Microsoft software or hardware:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb

How to contact Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/

•  07-22-2012, 12:46 PM 962660 in reply to 962610
    Not Ranked

Yes, we tried to play LAN with the same purchase. I think I'll go to the store to look for both the WC and the Complete Collection for my sister's computer. Thanks for the help ;)

(Account name: Luckyy)  

View as RSS news feed in XML