Age of Empires Forums

advanced
in

Last post 08-05-2012, 11:17 PM by opelgtman73. 5 replies.
Sort Posts:
  •  07-28-2012, 1:29 AM 963243
    opelgtman73 opelgtman73 is not online. Last active: 08-26-2012, 2:27 PM
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 5
    Last Post: 08-26-2012
    Subject: A different "failed to join game"

Ok so i have a FTJ issue but its different than from how most people have it. Allow me to explain: I have 2 friends all with their own legal copy of the game. We just got the 3rd guy setup so he can play online but when all try to join the same game, me or the 2nd guy get FTJ error. To help illustrate this let me be person A, 2nd guy be person B, and 3rd guy person C. If A (me) is hosting, C can join but B gets FTJ. If B is hosting then C can join but A gets FTJ. If C is hosting then A and B both get FTJ; When C is hosting if A joins first, B gets FTJ and then if B joins first then A get FTJ. Because of this it leads me to believe that the issue here is between A and B. A can join any other game (with the exception of a few) without getting FTJ, A can join almost all games from random people and so forth. B also has no problem joining almost all games from random people and such. I searched many threads and FAQs trying to find a fix for this and after trying many things have not figured the problem out yet.

I made B and myself (A) to turn off all firewalls and anti-virus (we both have avast!) and then try to join. But, for whatever reason we can not play on the same game together online (LAN works fine). Also, when i go to B's house, we can play in the same game online just fine. It is only when I (A) am at my house and he (B) is at his house the we can't be in the same game together. Please keep in mind that all three of us can play the game just fine anywhere else such as random people's games online, LAN, offline, etc. My (A)'s internet is a sprint 3G aircard hooked into a cradlepoint router to transmit for the whole house. B's internet is AT&T dsl/cable connection with 10Mbps+. And C's internet is unknown to me, I think it might be some sort of dsl/cable as well.

If more info is needed to help me with this problem, i am more than happy to offer the knowledge i can. Thank you all for reading and i hope I can get some help on this.

•  08-02-2012, 9:42 AM 963670 in reply to 963243
    Metis Metis is not online. Last active: Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:38 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Total Posts: 7,783
    Last Post: 12-26-2013
    Subject: Re: A different "failed to join game"

All I can do is to point you to the stickied FTJ thread and suggest that you search here for other posts on the topic. Remember that one person can block others from entering a game room if he has super-high network security settings that prevent him from joining peer-to-peer networks.

http://forum.agecommunity.com/forums/thread/897899.aspx

•  08-05-2012, 12:48 AM 963908 in reply to 963670
    Not Ranked
    I have searched through many threads, including the stikied one, and i have tried many different supposed fixes with no luck. I don't care about not being able to join many other peoples games, i just wanna be able to connect with this one guy.
  •  08-05-2012, 10:20 PM 963947 in reply to 963908
    Not Ranked

Could I please get some help? I really want to get this fixed and everything i have tried has not worked. If this helps, here is an update on what i have done and so forth:

Firstly, i am on a Sprint 3G air card hooked into a Cradlepoint MBR95 router. He is on an AT&T dsl/wired connection. Not sure which router he has.

I have tried:

-Turning off all firewall and anti-viruses things on both our ends.

-Opening ports 2300-2310 on my router and his as well.

-Both of our internet connections our well enough to be able to play online.

-If i go to his house and we both play on his internet, we can play together no problem.

-I have another computer at my house with another copy of the game and it has the same problem. In the fact that it cannot play with this other guy's game. My two computers can join in an online ESO game together just fine. (Both using my 3G internet of course)

- I have tried both of us logging out and logging back in because i have heard that can help a lot. No luck.

-With each of us taking turns hosting, i will try 3+ times then he will host and he will try to join 3+ times to join my game and it has yet to work.

-I have opened up the number players to 7+ when hosting a game because i have heard that can help too. Yet to work and then obviously i have had him try the same thing.

Thats all i can think of at the moment. Since we can play together just fine if we are both on his internet it really makes me believe it is one of if not both of our internet/routers. Like i said, i have tried quite a few different things with no progress at all. I have received much help on this forum about this issue yet. Some good technical help would be very appreciated. Thanks for reading everyone! =)

•  08-05-2012, 11:15 PM 963953 in reply to 963947
    Metis Metis is not online. Last active: Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:38 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Total Posts: 7,783
    Last Post: 12-26-2013

Remember that this is not a server based game but a peer-to-peer network game. ESO sets up a network among the players in order for them to play the game. If a player who would be unable to maintain a network connection with any of the players already in a game room attempts to join said room, ESO detects this and gives him the fail to join error. Sometimes routers are incompatible with each other. If you have tried all of the steps listed in the FAQ and stickied thread (too many to repeat here) the next step might be a hardware change; several people have reported resolving FTJ issues by changing routers. First, however, I would make sure that both of your routers were updated with the latest firmware and set up properly for gaming in general and AOE 3 specifically.

A short intro:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399412,00.asp 

An example with a Netgear router:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/66/~/how-to-enable-quality-of-service-(qos)%3F

•  08-05-2012, 11:17 PM 963954 in reply to 963953
    Not Ranked
    ok thanks
View as RSS news feed in XML