Age of Empires Forums

advanced
in

Last post 09-11-2010, 9:31 AM by Alex7545. 4 replies.
Sort Posts:
  •  09-10-2010, 9:26 PM 898316
    Fictitious1 Fictitious1 is not online. Last active: 12-15-2010, 3:33 AM
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2010
    Subject: Help With Install - Windows 7 64bit

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit - up to date through Windows Update to today at least.

Phenom X6 - 5770 - 4gb memory.

I've tried to install the original Age of Empires 3 several times already. Express install ->

Fresh install or so I think - (I've regedited between times even looking for age3.exe and deleting references as well to try to make sure.)

After install - Restarted - Tried to run patch with admin rights/try regular/ -> "Something wrong with installation, may need to reinstall"

- When\IF I do get to the patch 1.14 part it keeps saying it can not access some random_map\RT#### which changes every time so it is not like I can create a file and then do it......

I've shut off Comodo - MSE is still running - 

I know people keep saying download the patch.  I have - patch will not install -

I've seen fresh install.. I have still no luck...

Can someone give me a step by step walkthrough(if needing to change reg entries delete etc) for what worked for them on installing on Windows 7 64 bit?

Do i just need to extract patch the exe into the folder? Help please...

EDIT:

Ok -

Here's what has worked so far.
    1)Fresh install of Age of Empires 3 - made sure registry was cleaned of compatibility things etc.
    2)Unable to get 1.14 standalone patch to work - kept saying installation was bad.
      - Solution: Ran file checker - had a bunch of files that said were invalid.
      - Downloaded 1.12 Patch from Filefront - Ran - Success.
    Ensemble Studios ESAge3FileChecker Results
    Version : 1.12.04.01.00
    Time : 2010-09-11 04:57:32Z
    ======================= Age3 File Check Beginning ===========================
    Registry reported version 1.12 and path:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\
    ========================================================================
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\AI\isabella.personality - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\art\art1.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\art\art2.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\art\art3.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\data\data.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\data\proto.xml - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\data\proto.xml.xmb - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\data\techtree.xml - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\data\techtree.xml.xmb - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\fonts\fonts.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\render\render.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\sound\sound.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\startup\game.con - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\age3.exe - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\datap.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\deformerdll.dll - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\esinet.dll - Version correct
    ======================= Age3 File Check Complete ============================
    ===================== Warchiefs File Check Beginning ========================
    Could not open registry key - HR: Incorrect function.

===================== Asian Dynasties File Check Beginning ========================
    Could not open registry key - HR: Incorrect function.

3) Tried to install 1.14 patch now - No success.. Mind you this is without a restart so far, about to try that now.
     - Tried running autoupdate- no success
     - Tried to just run game at 1.12 with Windows XP SP2-3 Compatibilty, No luck
    Current resolution is 1920x1080 - don't know if that will make a difference or not.. it keeps doing the back to basic thing but the process never becomes a running application for some reason. I have to kill it..

So I am at 1.12 according to file checker - unable to get it to run - or update to 1.14

EDIT #2

Ok So I got to 1.13 No problems.  Thought Ok try 1.14 - Still without running game..Said success but ran the file checker and got

Ensemble Studios ESAge3FileChecker Results
    Version : 1.12.04.01.00
    Time : 2010-09-11 05:59:30Z
    ======================= Age3 File Check Beginning ===========================
    Registry reported version 1.14 and path:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\
    ========================================================================
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\AI\isabella.personality - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\art\art1.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\art\art2.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\art\art3.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\data\data.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\data\proto.xml - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\data\proto.xml.xmb - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\data\techtree.xml - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\data\techtree.xml.xmb - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\fonts\fonts.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\render\render.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\sound\sound.bar - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\startup\game.con - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\age3.exe - INVALID FILE
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\datap.bar - INVALID FILE
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\deformerdll.dll - Version correct
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\esinet.dll - Version correct
    ======================= Age3 File Check Complete

No I am not running a cracked exe (Yet) and I do not know what the datap.bar is.  

So now I'm at a non working 1.14 and the autopatcher says everything is up to date..

EDIT #3

Success

Following from above - windows 7 64 bit install procedure

1)clean install

2)downloaded 1.12 patch(don't know if it is necessary or not but I did not have any problems installing this without other steps so at least it got me from 1.0 to 1.12)

3) CLEAN BOOT - Did not think I needed it, something must have been funky finallllllly working

4)Installed 1.14 patch no problems during clean boot

5) Ran game was able to set to 1920x1080 no problems 1.14 version came up. 

Clean boot - should have done it sooner, but finally got it working.

•  09-10-2010, 11:31 PM 898342 in reply to 898316
    Metis Metis is not online. Last active: Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:38 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Total Posts: 7,783
    Last Post: 12-26-2013
    Subject: Re: Help With Install - Windows 7 64bit

I think that you must run the game in a virtual XP environment when using 64-bit Windows 7. Unfortunately for the Home version this is not an option (only Professional and Ultimate).

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

•  09-10-2010, 11:41 PM 898343 in reply to 898342
    Fictitious1 Fictitious1 is not online. Last active: 12-15-2010, 3:33 AM
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 3
    Last Post: 12-15-2010
    Doing that might work but I'm not sure that I would have full video card performance, only a virtual graphics card.. I use virtualbox as well, but don't know if the windows allows the d3d full performance or not.
  •  09-11-2010, 2:14 AM 898352 in reply to 898342
    Jonza121 Jonza121 is not online. Last active: 09-19-2010, 12:19 PM
    England... Where there is a time paradox.
    Top 500 Contributor
    Total Posts: 379
    Last Post: 09-19-2010

Well I believe the original poster

Got served

Jonza121:
    Tiger's Tightrope:

...arse.

no
  •  09-11-2010, 9:31 AM 898387 in reply to 898352
    Alex7545 Alex7545 is not online. Last active: Mon, Aug 22 2011, 5:57 PM
    GET THE PUMPS!
    Top 200 Contributor
    Total Posts: 962
    Last Post: 08-22-2011
    rofl, epic.

ಠ_ರೃ Sir Dr. Wellington Smiley asks,
    "Dental Hygiene? What sorcery is this? Hahaha! I jest! I am a Doctor, and as such take excellent care of all things health related."
View as RSS news feed in XML