Age of Empires Forums

advanced
in

Last post 07-21-2012, 1:51 PM by Odedg. 8 replies.
Sort Posts:
  •  07-21-2012, 11:01 AM 962572
    Odedg Odedg is not online. Last active: 23 May 2013, 6:02 AM
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 18
    Last Post: 05-23-2013
    Subject: "Lost connection, please check you internet connectivity..."

Hey, 

I played 3 games of treaty today, and in all of them I got that error - it was something like "You lost your connection, please check your internet connectivity (or connection I don't remember) and restart the game" - something like that...

At first I thought the error appeared because I went alt of tab too many times because I was trying a new strategy... But now I played another treaty game and like 10 minutes before treaty it happened again. I think it never happened to me, and also I immediately went in my browser and the internet was fine so I don't know what's going on...

This week we switched to another router - from 12mb to 30mb so maybe the new router is causing that but still I don't know why or what to do so I can play AOE with out this annoying thing happen... I can't finish games - that's not fun, and it also hurts my team mates and the whole game players, and I am losing points...

What can I do? Sorry for writing that much, I would like to get help from you guys...

Thanks in advance! :D

Oded 

•  07-21-2012, 11:27 AM 962577 in reply to 962572
    Metis Metis is not online. Last active: Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:38 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Total Posts: 7,783
    Last Post: 12-26-2013
    Subject: Re: "Lost connection, please check you internet connectivity..."

Go into your router setup and make sure that it is set to "gaming mode," which should included a protocol for Age of Empires (my Netgear does). If the router doesn't have a pre-existing protocol for the game you can create one to allow it full access to the Internet (see the "Fail to Join thread for the ports to open).

Also, make sure that the router is not set to timeout your connection after a certain time or to disconnect it after it has used a certain amount of bandwidth. Make sure that your Internet Options don't timeout after a certain period or that your ISP doesn't disconnect you after a certain bandwidth is reached too. 

Finally, set your gaming computer, and the game itself if there is an option for this, to a higher priority than other devices that might take over access to the network. The default setting on my router caused my niece's phone to kick me out of a game once because the default settings were such to give phone traffic the highest priority. 

The articles below are examples:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6931665_configure-router-gaming.html

Quality of Service

http://www.ehow.com/how_7228303_do-wifi-bandwidth-broadcast-router_.html

•  07-21-2012, 12:56 PM 962581 in reply to 962577
    Not Ranked
    Metis:

Go into your router setup and make sure that it is set to "gaming mode," which should included a protocol for Age of Empires (my Netgear does). If the router doesn't have a pre-existing protocol for the game you can create one to allow it full access to the Internet (see the "Fail to Join thread for the ports to open).

Also, make sure that the router is not set to timeout your connection after a certain time or to disconnect it after it has used a certain amount of bandwidth. Make sure that your Internet Options don't timeout after a certain period or that your ISP doesn't disconnect you after a certain bandwidth is reached too. 

Finally, set your gaming computer, and the game itself if there is an option for this, to a higher priority than other devices that might take over access to the network. The default setting on my router caused my niece's phone to kick me out of a game once because the default settings were such to give phone traffic the highest priority. 

Quality of Service

I didn't really understand all of the things you told me to do, I mean I understood but I don't know how to do what you said... I looked a bit at the links you gave me and also at the topic in this forum - I tried to open a port as he said but I am not sure if I did that right and also I understood that it might affect (badly) my download\upload speed (in torrent or in general).

However, I don't know if I did that port-opening right so right now I wont apply it, I would really appreciate it if you will try to explain to me what to do on my router web or something - I didn't find any place of gaming mode etc...

•  07-21-2012, 1:31 PM 962582 in reply to 962577
    Not Ranked
    Metis:

Quality of Service

I didn't really understand all of the things you told me to do, I mean I understood but I don't know how to do what you said... I looked a bit at the links you gave me and also at the topic in this forum - I tried to open a port as he said but I am not sure if I did that right and also I understood that it might affect (badly) my download\upload speed (in torrent or in general).

However, I don't know if I did that port-opening right so right now I wont apply it, I would really appreciate it if you will try to explain to me what to do on my router web or something - I didn't find any place of gaming mode etc...

•  07-21-2012, 1:32 PM 962583 in reply to 962577
    Not Ranked
    Metis:

Quality of Service

•  07-21-2012, 1:51 PM 962585 in reply to 962577
    Not Ranked
    Metis:

Quality of Service

I am trying to write to you but I can't, it says my reply has to be applied by a moderator before it is publicly posted or something like that... >< 

•  07-21-2012, 3:50 PM 962591 in reply to 962577
    Not Ranked

I am sorry if I am posting a lot of times, I tried to post and it told me I have to wait for a moderator to accept my post and it's weird because it didn't happen to me before in here... (although I have opened only 2 topics, so... :P ) I am checking if it has changed xD

Anyways, can you please explain more and simply what I have to do? I didn't find any game mode on my router settings on the web, I tried to open that port on the topic, I hope I did it right but I don't know if that have been helpful or solved the problem because I don't wanna play - it makes me lose points...

Edit: yay! it finally posted :D I wrote more in the last post I tried to write in here, so if you get to see it you should just read it and not this one... I understood that gaming mode can slow down my downloading\uploading speed in torrents or generaly, and anyways I couldn't find how to put my router in this mode... And also pretty much the other things you said - I would appreciate it if you explain them a bit more\how to do it simply...

By the way, I did have (yesterday and maybe more) games after the router-switch in which the problem didnt accure... Just saying :P

Thanks very much and again, sorry that my posts are so long... I just explain everything because I really want to be able to play AOE normally again asap :D

•  07-21-2012, 4:33 PM 962592 in reply to 962591
    Metis Metis is not online. Last active: Thu, Dec 26 2013, 1:38 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Total Posts: 7,783
    Last Post: 12-26-2013

I've pointed out some things to check. Detailed information regarding router setup is beyond the scope of this gaming forum. Not to mention that, unless I had used and was familiar with the exact model with the exact firmware, that you have I'd be spending considerable time researching and learning your system in order to help you. You should be doing this yourself.

Speaking of torrents, this is a good way to get malware. I'd recommend that you download the free version of MalwareBytes and run it to see what might be lurking on your system. 

•  07-22-2012, 4:25 AM 962637 in reply to 962592
    Not Ranked
    Metis:

I've pointed out some things to check. Detailed information regarding router setup is beyond the scope of this gaming forum. Not to mention that, unless I had used and was familiar with the exact model with the exact firmware, that you have I'd be spending considerable time researching and learning your system in order to help you. You should be doing this yourself.

Speaking of torrents, this is a good way to get malware. I'd recommend that you download the free version of MalwareBytes and run it to see what might be lurking on your system. 

Ok, thanks anyways, I hope I'll succeed making AOE work fine again... 

View as RSS news feed in XML