Age of Empires Forums

advanced
in

Last post 01-21-2013, 3:10 PM by Katsu-S~S. 27 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (28 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts:
  •  08-27-2012, 11:06 AM 966039
    Alex the kid Alex the kid is not online. Last active: 09-08-2012, 8:21 AM
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2012
    Subject: Proposal for the next Age of Empires game

Dear Age of Empires,

I am an Age of Empires fan. As you may know there is a fan campaign to remake Age of Empires 2. We really miss the medieval theme. Personally I love the periods from 1, 2 and 3, ancient to colonial, so in my dreams I would want a remade Age of Empires trilogy whereby each period is played separately. The following are suggestions improvements to the original games that we as fans would be forever grateful if you could include in a new game. I am speaking for many people out there as well as myself.

Maps- Map editor whereby the maximum size of map is bigger than in other games. I would suggest much bigger, perhaps 50-100 times the size in order to give a feeling of scale over the players imperial ambitions. The maps should have lots of zoom to see from a far distance from the sky as well as close up between buildings and trees and fields and cliffs etc with lots of graphical detail. You should be able to rotate around the map and all objects on the map. The much larger map should not have dead ends, instead it should take a global form whereby you can continue going round in a sphere. The mini map in the corner of the screen should have the cities plotted with titles.

Map size should be an option as some may still want smaller sizes.

Units- Much higher population limits. You should be able to have armies of thousands, preferably tens of thousands or more. This would suit the increased space and be way more epic. There should be more of a Total War type approach to battles. There should be increased ability to organize troops in battle, and perhaps the location of a battle can affect the outcome on one side or another. Although an option to send troops into battle and let them do as they please could also be an option. Essentially it would be the same as now but if you want to put in the extra time to organize your troops strategically and have them do EXACTLY what you command then you should. Once again you can zoom in and out of military units and good animation should happen close up. Population limit should be an option as some may still want smaller numbers.

Conquest- Traditionally you conquer by destroying an opposition. There should be that option as well as an option to occupy a settlement. So if you occupy a settlement you would see your troops march up and down the enemy settlement. They can send reinforcements from another one of their settlements when they feel they time is right, therefore you may have to keep sending reinforcements to maintain the occupation. So have a choice to absorb as well as destroy. I also would want there to be an improved trade emphasis whereby you can dominate in trade and this dominance can have some affect on the threat of the enemy that you are richer than, eg if you dominate them in fishing then with regard to fishing you can make life difficult for them.

Settlements/towns- There should be more ability to plan the settlement you build, in terms of positions of buildings. With bigger maps there should be more scope to plug your settlement into the surroundings more comfortably, for the sake of organizing the flow of resources and for defence. There should be reason to build several settlements and spread, rather than one major centre that is the base of operations and if that's destroyed, its over. You should be encouraged to build on vacant land and grab those resources and require a several local settlements to best soak up the goodies on those lands and spread the population of your civilization. You should be able to select all buildings in a settlement and title the town/city eg London or Paris. Zooming into towns should give you a good view of villagers working and going about there lives. You should be able to be extravagant and have customizable building appearances to suit your character as well as making your own monuments/wonders/statues.

In conclusion you would absorb elements from The Settlers, Total War and Civilization whilst retaining the beautiful real time mechanics of Age of Empires. In essence this would be bar far the greatest strategy game ever conceived. Please respond to this letter with your thoughts.

•  08-27-2012, 11:39 AM 966040 in reply to 966039
    TomGR TomGR is not online. Last active: 11-23-2013, 4:01 PM
    Athens, Greece
    Top 500 Contributor
    Total Posts: 343
    Last Post: 11-23-2013
    Subject: Re: Proposal for the next Age of Empires game

I wouldn 't like to be in Ryzon 's place when he ll realize that his actions on keeping this section for aoe:o discussion failed miserably ^^

@ Alex: 

WTF are you talking about dude seriously! Please tell me that you re just trolling us im begging you! The next thing im expecting to read in this post is that we should have the ability to watch our villagers having sex while we are expanding our colony, or building giant c*ck statues made of rock instead of outposts in other to scare our enemies.

Ryz0n:
    Hmm someone here needs to take a chill pill.
  •  08-27-2012, 1:58 PM 966045 in reply to 966040
    Not Ranked

iv'e got a separate discussion here with my own thing son. basically i'm trying to get the message to the game makers based on what myself and  many other of my friends think needs to be improved about the game. its a good idea to learn from other strategy games. Its been mentioned on the site that they are open to suggestions for ideas for the next game.

WTF i'm talking about is

1. maps should be much bigger and not have dead ends. what kind of empire is the size of godamn central park? and what kind of empire has dead ends like a glorified board game.

2. You should be able to have much bigger armies, not 200 limit. Other games like total war can have tens of thousands in the armies. It would be way more epic to have huge armies, after all we are all virtual empire builders, not gangs of 200. And like total war you should be able to micro manage your armies in battle

3. There should be other options for domination, other than destroying your enemy. you should be able to occupy them like in the game civilization.

4. And yes theres no harm in a little customization options with buildings and monuments etc, after all we are carving a story as we go along, why not make it more your own. ;)

•  08-27-2012, 3:44 PM 966061 in reply to 966045
    Jerom Jerom is not online. Last active: 28 Dec 2013, 7:18 PM
    Delfgauw, The Netherlands
    Top 10 Contributor
    Total Posts: 10,000
    Last Post: 12-28-2013

But like... thats not how age of empires is played u know.

Aoe is made for fast gameplay where both people attack early and stuff.... What you want is long games that are boring in the eyes of many people... every game in the aoe series is not close to what u want u know....

For example, when the maps get really big the gameplay gets really boring to play and watch, and when u can get many troops the game will just lagg really badly (and if you are going to fix that, then you wont be able to control your troops that well which will again hurt the gameplay). 

[N3O] Jerom_the_brave
    http://www.youtube.com/user/N3OJerom?feature=mhee

•  08-27-2012, 4:16 PM 966063 in reply to 966061
    Not Ranked
    well I totally understand how people often want fast game play, I think that that should remain an option. Look at it this way, the game is supposed to be realistic, to an extent of course, otherwise there would be too much to get your head around, but with all the detail with technologies and advancement and graphics it makes sense to remove the size deficiencies and make it less like a board game. Its already been mentioned by someone on the site that there will be a professional rpg style map editor, which would be wasted for a small board game type world. Lets think big!!!!!  As for the lag with big armies, hey I'm not a technical man, but I would have thought that in this day and age there should be the technology to prevent that. It could just be a bigger game that demands a better computer I guess. And as for a bigger game not being fun, surely u can see how expanding the size would produce a more meated out game that could produce more game play contexts. This isn't civilization where its turn based, its still likely that lots of action would happen, it would just be on a bigger and more epic scale. 
  •  08-28-2012, 9:58 AM 966125 in reply to 966063
    Top 10 Contributor

Honestly.. Games are about gameplay for almost all serious players, not about being epic. Your changes make the gameplay worse and make it more epic. I guess those changes could be good for a different target group but for the aoe players those will be bad ideas...

[N3O] Jerom_the_brave

•  08-28-2012, 1:25 PM 966131 in reply to 966125
    b3r b3r is not online. Last active: 10-22-2012, 3:05 PM
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 11
    Last Post: 10-22-2012

Sorry.. not trying to be rude or anything but I personally hate all of those ideas and think the game would suck.

As soon as you make everything bigger, like a map 50-100 times! and massive armies the game is going to start to lag. Im not prepared to buy a super pc and internet just to play a video game as im sure many others wouldn't either.

This is AoE and ur changes would effectively change the game completely. If i want big armies and campaign style play il go play total war, which surprisingly requires a better pc.... 

Also its a bit of a joke saying that bigger armies would allow for better organization of troops regarding strategy and micro. If you played this game series properly you would realise you already have the option to position troops and be strategical its called micro.... you know placing anti cav by ur cannon and fighting counters etc....  

I would make a guess that you have never watched a top player play and seen real micro in this game. You also mention organizing your base well.. You can already do it if u want some defense u can build ur buildings in such a way as to protect urself.

Ever played colosseum or a scenario where u can get thousands of troops? It just sucks u cant control the troops properly the lag is terrible and having such big armies means im going to need a bigger screen to see it properly. Smaller armies means micro down to small groups and in Starcraft even 1 or 2 men. big armies like in total war mean i select a group and tell them to attack another group and cant pull an individual guy out etc  

Again sorry but i dont like these ideas lol.

•  08-28-2012, 1:39 PM 966133 in reply to 966131
    Athens, Greece
    Top 500 Contributor
    b3r:

Sorry.. not trying to be rude or anything but I personally hate all of those ideas and think the game would suck.

As soon as you make everything bigger, like a map 50-100 times! and massive armies the game is going to start to lag. Im not prepared to buy a super pc and internet just to play a video game as im sure many others wouldn't either.

This is AoE and ur changes would effectively change the game completely. If i want big armies and campaign style play il go play total war, which surprisingly requires a better pc.... 

Also its a bit of a joke saying that bigger armies would allow for better organization of troops regarding strategy and micro. If you played this game series properly you would realise you already have the option to position troops and be strategical its called micro.... you know placing anti cav by ur cannon and fighting counters etc....  

I would make a guess that you have never watched a top player play and seen real micro in this game. You also mention organizing your base well.. You can already do it if u want some defense u can build ur buildings in such a way as to protect urself.

Ever played colosseum or a scenario where u can get thousands of troops? It just sucks u cant control the troops properly the lag is terrible and having such big armies means im going to need a bigger screen to see it properly. Smaller armies means micro down to small groups and in Starcraft even 1 or 2 men. big armies like in total war mean i select a group and tell them to attack another group and cant pull an individual guy out etc  

Again sorry but i dont like these ideas lol.

Thanks for posting this answer because not only was I too bored to do it myself but I also consider the things that you mentioned known to anyone who played aoe3 multiplayer at least for a month or so (with some exceptions of course..). I guess I was a little too rude but when I read his ideas i was like WTF.

Ryz0n:
  •  08-28-2012, 1:59 PM 966135 in reply to 966133
    Not Ranked

well fair enough. although i didnt say that having bigger armies would make micro management better. i said that more micro management should be included like in total war.And in terms of commanding big armies and the screen being too small, well i did also mention better ability to zoom in and out. As for maps, I still think that they should be bigger, not necessarily 50-100 times but at least 10 or 20. And maps should not have dead ends, they should be spherical like a globe. 

So what would you dudes want to happen with the next game? 

•  08-28-2012, 2:06 PM 966136 in reply to 966135
    Athens, Greece
    Top 500 Contributor
    Alex the kid:

So what would you dudes want to happen with the next game? 

Take a look at this:

http://forum.agecommunity.com/forums/6/966076/ShowThread.aspx#966076

Personally, i liked maropolo 's idea (6th page last post)

Ryz0n:
  •  08-29-2012, 4:01 PM 966195 in reply to 966136
    Not Ranked
    well if it was modern warfare it wouldn't really be imperial, in the traditional sense.
  •  09-13-2012, 8:25 PM 967831 in reply to 966061
    Machiavelli+ Machiavelli+ is not online. Last active: 03-12-2012, 3:39 AM
    Australia
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 125
    Last Post: 12-03-2012
    Jerom:

But like... thats not how age of empires is played u know.

Aoe is made for fast gameplay where both people attack early and stuff.... What you want is long games that are boring in the eyes of many people... every game in the aoe series is not close to what u want u know....

For example, when the maps get really big the gameplay gets really boring to play and watch, and when u can get many troops the game will just lagg really badly (and if you are going to fix that, then you wont be able to control your troops that well which will again hurt the gameplay). 

Jerom:

Honestly.. Games are about gameplay for almost all serious players, not about being epic. Your changes make the gameplay worse and make it more epic. I guess those changes could be good for a different target group but for the aoe players those will be bad ideas...

You seem to be confusing "online multiplayer of AoE3" with "the Age of Empires [& Mythology] franchise as a whole". AoE I never got to play seriously, but AoE2 and AoM had loads of potential for long games, large-scale battles, defensive play, and "being epic". AoE3 even has Treaty included as a game mode, and I'm sure I don't need to explain to you that it has a rather large number of exclusive players; what does that tell you about your absolute statements regarding AoE players' preferences?

You should be honoured to have read my post.
  •  09-14-2012, 8:52 AM 967885 in reply to 967831
    Top 10 Contributor

Defensive play is ok. Two players doing nothing at all being defensive all game long is boring.

The latter is the result of his ideas. 

[N3O] Jerom_the_brave

•  09-15-2012, 1:19 AM 968004 in reply to 967885
    Machiavelli+ Machiavelli+ is not online. Last active: 03-12-2012, 3:39 AM
    Australia
    Not Ranked
    Total Posts: 125
    Last Post: 12-03-2012
    Jerom:

Defensive play is ok. Two players doing nothing at all being defensive all game long is boring.

The latter is the result of his ideas. 

Boring to you.
    Personally, I think your conception of the matter is a tad oxymoronic. If they're being defensive, they're clearly not doing "nothing at all". In any case, though, there's no reason to think that mechanics which support defensive strategy would make other play-styles impractical. A look at earlier games should pretty quickly demonstrate to you that such an idea is plainly wrong.

You should be honoured to have read my post.
  •  09-15-2012, 5:01 AM 968009 in reply to 968004
    Milky__ Milky__ is not online. Last active: Tue, Dec 17 2013, 7:26 PM
    NZ
    Top 25 Contributor
    Total Posts: 4,974
    Last Post: 12-17-2013
    personally i enjoy sup more than tr, and always have
Page 1 of 2 (28 items)   1 2 Next >
View as RSS news feed in XML